Sunday, March 16, 2008

Exerpt from a recent email to my sister


I've been reading Pride And Predjudice today. I've never read it before. I think I had tried to read it once, but found it too difficult. I'm really enjoying it now. There were some things in the movie that were never explained that now make sense. Can you believe Brian likes Pride and Predjucice. He's watched the whole video series by himself twice now. Maybe he's becoming slightly cultured. :)


Speaking of me reading, the other day I was reading on the couch. I was kind of moping because Brian was on a business trip for 5 days so I decided to be lazy all day. So I was reading on the couch, and Ellice decided that she wanted to read too. But she didn't want to read a kids book. She asked that I get her one of my books. So I did. She proceeded to sit next to me for the next hour thinking that she was "reading" the book. She also took great care to do exactly what I did with the book. Like when I put the book upside down on the couch marking my spot so I could go do something, then she would have to do exacly the same thing with her book. It is scary how much she wants to be like me. Do you know that song, "Lord I want to be just like you, cause he wants to be just like me." It has become very clear how true that song is.


They are teaching a class in Sunday School now called "Revolutionary Parenting" It's by a guy named George Barna. I'm really excited about this class. The premise of the book is how to raise kids that are "spiritual champions." The author has certain criteria for what the definition of a now, full-grown child is that is a "spiritual champion." Basically it is someone who loves God wholeheartedly, has a biblical worldview, and is serving God with his life. The author, then did a ton of research by interviewing both the child and the parents for what it was that helped them become a spiritual champion. So his book is based on a lot of research. I'm on chapter 3 now. So far, it has been a good reminder to be intentional in spiritually developing your children. Our church does a great job in their children's ministry, but I can't depend on them to turn my children into "spiritual champions." In my experience in youth ministry, I've been able to see a lot of different kids and the different ways that they have been raised. Its very disheartening to see the disconnect with what parents would say is important, like God, and what is actually shown to be important. By the way parents allow kids to spend time, it is clear that often school is important. Sports are important. When I see the hours and hours that kids spend weekly at games and practices for their sport, and no time is left for God. I have to ask the question, "what is their God?" School, and sports, and whatever else are all good things, but if there is no time for God, than there is a problem. Anyway, I guess I'm ranting now. I guess when I see all this it makes me ask the question,"what can I do differently in the way I raise my kids." Ellice isn't going to magically turn into someone who loves God. I need to "raise her up in the way she should go (Jesus)." I don't want there to be a disconect between saying God is the most important, and showing it by the way I spend my time and the way I allow my kids to spend their time. So, I'm excited to see what this book has to say. I'm rereading this paragraph and laughing at myself now. I sound like I'm preaching or something. I rarely journal, so this email has become a journal for me. I think I may post it on my blog. I just started one a couple weeks ago, and want it to be a place that journals my life and the life of my family. My goal is to update it weekly and post pictures too. I forget things so quickly that it will be good for me to write them down so that they aren't forgotten.
I'm adding a picture to this blog of Ellice when she was two. Annyah is turning 2 on Friday. I was looking for recent pictures to post, but there aren't any on the computer that I'm on. I couldn't resist adding this picture. My baby is growing up so quickly. I can't believe that Annyah is now the age that Ellice was in this picture. Life goes way too quick.

No comments: