For those of you who are reading this and aren't that familiar with my children. I have two girls, a five year old and a three year old. They both are very high energy and keep me crazy busy. I am also now 29 weeks pregnant with a boy. And yes my husband is ecstatic since even our two dogs are girls. So here is a start to a list of things that drive me crazy as a mom, that I know someday I might miss.
1. Finding toilet paper all over the bathroom. What are they doing that makes little pieces of toilet paper land all over the floor? How many rolls of toilet paper must we go through in a week?
2. Similarly, where does all the soap in the soap dispenser in the bathroom go? What are they doing with it, and yet I know they don't wash their hands very often?
3. Everything always having to be fair!
4. For the hundredth time, the dog's water bowl is not for making mud!
5. Not being able to use the bathroom without being disturbed.
6. Washing 3 outfits a day per person, not including pajamas. And yes, this does include my husband.
7. Trying to explain why that shirt and those pants don't go together.
8. Trying to explain why they can't wear their princess costume to church.
9. Hearing the same prayer from my 3 year old every day no matter whether for a meal or before bed. "Thank you God for this great day. Thank you for this food. Please help me not to get out of bed. In jesus name amen." Yes, I have explained in great detail the "theology" of prayer but the prayers are the same no matter what I say.
10. Having it announced whenever it occurs, "Mommy,I tooted."
11. Getting asked loudly in a public restroom if I am pooping.
12. Having to reassure my daughter before we go someplace new that "no, there won't be any clowns or pirates there." Yes she has a phobia.
13. No, you can not bring your blankie!
14. I already got your water, gave you a hug and kiss, prayed with you, read your bible to you, & took your hair out. Why are you out of bed? Do you need a spanking? Tonight my daugher's reason for getting out of bed was because she "needed to flush." Yesterday is was because, "I need something." The day before that it was "when I open my eyes and look at the window, it looks funny."
15. Telling them for the hundredth time not to get up from the table before they are excused.
16. Having to remind Ellice that she is not Annyah's mom and cannot boss her around.
17. Whining - ok, there isn't any possible way that I will actually miss this one.
18. Having someone kick my seat repeatedly while I am driving.
19. The bathroom floor being flooded with water every time they take a bath.
20. The irrepressible urge that Ellice gets to dance around in public places whenever she is wearing her dressy shoes or a twirly dress.
21. Telling my kids not to touch things that aren't their's. Telling them something similar a hundred times when we are out shopping.
22. Having to remind my children again that they shouldn't point at people who look differently, or ask them "what is that thing on your face" in reference to a big mole. There used to be a little person or in less politically correct days a midget that worked at Costco and before we would go to Costco I would have to coach Ellice not to stare at him or talk about him loudly to me. The first time we saw him, Ellice started crying loudly as she walked past him, and ran away.
23. Telling them for the thousandth time, no you can't wear shorts, it's winter.
24. Having one of the few flowers that I have in my sad flower bed get picked.
25. Discovering that disposable pull-ups make a big mess of the laundry if they are washed.
26. Failing to get through even five minutes of a movie without been peppered with questions about why this or that is happening in the movie.
I'm sure all of you that are moms could probably add your own 25 things to this list and it probably changes with every new age that they reach. I would be curious to hear what some of those are. One of the things that inspired me to make this list is that country song, "you're gonna miss this" by Trace Adkins. The chorus that always goes through my head when I am silently complaining about one of the things above is, "you're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days. Hadn't gone by so fast. These are the good times. So take a good look around. You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think the girls are beautiful and that their energy level is JUST RIGHT. We had to live with the energy level for over 20 years. It is your turn now. Love ya, Dad
Great perspective Tomina - we can count on missing almost all those annoying things. I found it funny that I can attest to MANY of the "you will miss this someday" on your list - it actually was comforting to know those things drive someone else crazy. : )
Post a Comment